Monday, October 1, 2012

Food- Blueberry Banana Bread

  School mornings, no matter how much preparation I do the night before ,are hectic.  I make lunches, lay clothes out, pack backpacks, get the little boys in the tub and sometimes set up the coffee maker at night.  This leaves breakfast and everyone getting themselves dressed for the morning. 

  I firmly believe that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  I try so hard to get breakfast into all the boys before leaving for school.  It's not too much of a problem to get the younger two boys to eat but getting a teenager to stop and eat a good breakfast is such a hassle.  And cold cereal gets old every morning.  So I've tried to come up w/ other things that the boys will eat for breakfast that is as easy as cereal.  Muffins fit in perfectly.  I have been freezing batches and thawing the amount we need for the next morning.  This is a great recipe.  I have been making these for years and they are always delicious.

This recipe is for bread but easily transfers over to muffins w/o any adjustments. 

 My kitchen taste tester! Hopefully he'll be this agreeable in the morning
 
Blueberry Banana Bread
 
2 lg bananas
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup buttermilk ( I have used regular milk too)
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup regular uncooked oats (or 3 packets of instant oats)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup fresh blueberries ( I have used frozen)
variations: I have used 1/2 wheat flour and 1/2 regular flour

Mash bananas in a large bowl. Add sugar and next 4 ingredients.  Let stand 5 minutes, until oats soften.  Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda.  Add to banana mixture alternately with oil, stirring just to incorporate.  Fold in blueberries.  Pour into a greased loaf pan or lined muffin cups.
Bake at 350  for 50 to 55 minutes. 
If you want to freeze, allow to cool completely before placing into a freezer container.  Remover muffins as needed and warm in the microwave before enjoying.    You can also add milled flax seed to the dry ingredients. 
 
I hope your family will enjoy the muffins as much as we do!
 
                                                                      We're also trying waffles and  pancakes for easy breakfast
                                                               Pray that this makes my mornings "friendlier".
 
This recipe adapted from Food For Thought, The Junior League of Birmingham, Alabama

No comments: