Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Easy Pasta Dinner

At our house, we LOVE pasta!!  The problem is we "love" creamy (fatty) pasta sauces.  Pour a garlic cream sauce on any pasta and we will put it away!!

When I was living in Memphis I worked @ a Cajun restaurant on Beale Street.  I waited tables but I loved to get to work early and hang out in the kitchen w/ the Cajun lady that cooked the meals.  She was awesome and was always willing to share her incredible kitchen knowledge.  I learned so many great recipes but my favorite was a garlic cream sauce. She made a shrimp & andouille pasta that was so good!!   I'll share that later, maybe....

I came across an awesome pasta recipe in this month's (actually December) issue of Real Simple.  It has a great combo - cream & garlic! But it also has English peas and spinach - what every mother wants to get into her children's diet :)  Also, it's not too heavy (like Alfredo).   It is so easy and great for a busy family dinner.

 So I am going to share it here for you to try.  I hope that doesn't  break any rules.... I did alter their original recipe b/c we like to EAT and their recipe wouldn't have fed 2 of us.

Creamy Chicken and Spinach Pasta

serves 4 (maybe)

1# of your favorite pasta (gemelli, penne or fusilli...)
1.5 cups frozen green peas
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1.5 cups heavy cream
3 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken
5 ounces baby spinach (about 6 cups)
kosher salt (or sea salt) and black pepper
Grated Parmesan, (for serving)

*Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the peas during the last minute of cooking.  Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water.  Drain the pasta and peas and reserve the pot.

*Melt the butter in the pasta pot over medium heat.  Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 minutes.

*Add the cream, chicken, spinach and 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper to the pot and cook until the chicken is warmed through and the spinach in wilted. 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the pasta and peas and toss to combine (add 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water if the pasta seems dry).  Serve with the Parmesan. 

 I used a basil, garlic & oregano rotisserie chicken and it was great!! 
This was even better on the 2nd night.  Parker didn't eat, so we had leftovers.  Oliver & Cooper ate it too.  Cooper picked out the peas but that's ok.

Hope ya'll will try this one.  I loved it!

Fettuccine With Peas, Shallot, and Herbs




No comments: